Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A bittersweet weekend, and a new guy

Thanks to TwoLives for the comment on the last post.

Well, it's over with this guy. I'll call him Thomas. He deserves a pseudonym since he was such a memorable one.

We missed a weekend since we were both traveling for Memorial Day. Over this past weekend we hung out both Saturday and Sunday. I had an amazing time. We went out to eat, checked out a beautiful historic house/museum, saw an improv show together . . . and then he initiated a talk. For the first time. At first I had a little glimmer of hope. Was this going to be a "I really like you and I'm ready to get a little more intimate/serious talk?" I felt the chances were good seeing as how he had agreed to spend so much time with me, and we'd had such a great time. I went first, and emphasized how much I liked him. Then he spoke . . . and told me he has come to think of me as more of a friend.

He mentioned how we'd been going out for nearly two months and hadn't done anything in the bedroom. I pointed out that one or both of us was sick for nearly half the time we'd been seeing each other, which may have affected our momentum. There also was really no opportunity for it. He admitted that he could have invited me over to his place but never did. My place wasn't an option because he never offered to drive to my neck of the woods. I told him that his reluctance to drive to me had been a worry for me, and he said that though it may be a bit selfish, he just really doesn't like to drive.

And so that's it. The guy I've been the most excited about in two years is dumping me because he doesn't like to drive, and because my keeping my distance so as not to get him sick made him cease to see me as a romantic prospect (talk about nice guys finishing last . . .) I know realistically he may still need time to emotionally move on from his 8 year relationship. But it's still so frustrating! He really had me falling for him. His eyes were beautiful, his smile adorable, his personality charming, his presence so calming. We could talk for hours, which is a big deal for me. In a follow up text after I got home he complimented me for being such a "good conversationalist." All that time spent together and that's all he could see in me? It's a wonder we lasted so long.

Silver lining: I actually went on a first date last week, since I sensed that things were in the danger zone with Thomas. The date went really well, and the second date was last night. I went over to the guy's place and he cooked. It was delicious, and we had a great time. We also made out a lot. It was clear that he kind of wanted to go further, but he stopped himself. He clearly wants to take things a little slow (but not too slow). But he has made no secret of the fact that he likes me and is very impressed by me. He is also very handsome himself. More feminine than I would usually be attracted to, but in this case it somehow enhances his attractiveness. And you know what? I like not having to wonder about what the other guy thinks of me.

That second date has given me a much needed buffer to keep my spirits high after the disappointment with Thomas. It will still be a little while before I'm over that one though, and I hope it doesn't affect what I have going with this new guy. I'm going to keep my distance from Thomas for a while. If friendship is possible it's the only way, as I once learned the hard way.

In other news, I met a fellow blogger, Aek of The Masks We Wear, for the first time in person. Very nice guy and he came to see me perform improv. So great to finally meet him :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like this new guy could be a winner! A good cook... mmmm

    Too bad I didn't get to catch up with AEK. He's a cool guy. Last week was insane for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was likewise great meeting you in person too!! It's been a long time coming, haha. And yeah, I was sad that I couldn't also meet up with Mike, but I'll definitely visit again before too long. :-)

    And the improv show was a ton of fun! I wonder if there's any around where I'm at.

    ReplyDelete