Monday, July 20, 2015

Accepting myself, forgiving myself

I created this blog and my original one so I could be completely open about the things that are troubling me. This has pretty much been dominated by two major topics: my personal life (including figuring out my sexuality and dating) and my professional life (primarily deciding on my career direction).

Other than a period during 2010 when I wrote about struggling over the decision to go to grad school or not, I haven't really talked much about my career concerns on this blog. I think a major reason for this is . . . shame. Yep, the same reason I had never discussed my peculiar sexual fetish until recently has kept me from discussing career concerns. Which is stupid. This is an anonymous blog. The purpose of said blog is to help me work through my issues! Who cares if the same issues carry on over a long time? Keeping them to myself is counter-productive . . . that's why I started blogging!

Yeah, that's the reason why I feel shame. Because I feel like I'm still dealing with very similar issues to those I was dealing with five years ago, and for that matter five years before that.

But the thing I try to remind myself of: I'm not unusual. PLENTY of people are struggling to find their place in the world. Plenty of people feel like they could be doing more with their lives. Plenty of people feel stuck.

When I graduated from college, I took out a notebook and made a Pros/Cons table. On one side of the table was "PhD." On the other side was "MD." Those were the only two options I allowed myself. I found that notebook today while I was going through boxes preparing for a move.

In many ways I was a different person then. Yet I STILL feel, at least on some level, like a little bit of a failure for having not gone down one of those paths. The thing is, neither of them was a path that I felt passionate about. Both of them required a huge up-front commitment and sacrifices that I just did not feel were worth the prizes at the end.

What I would really like is to learn to accept myself and forgive myself. To stop feeling like I failed by not choosing the MD or PhD path.

There's a positive way of looking at my choices, and a negative way.

Negative way: You are lazy and fearful. You have let fear and your risk aversion control your life and keep you from achieving the level of success you're capable of. You've focused on and prioritized personal issues, which will keep you mediocre. Your search for your life's passion will prove fruitless as you're chasing after a mirage.

Positive way: You have grown and learned much from your experiences and you are still learning and growing. You are living a more authentic life now by making room for your interests and rightfully prioritizing your personal life (because it has meaning to you). You will not be mediocre, because you CARE. PhD and MD are not the be-all end-all to success, and success itself is relative anyway. True success is found by living an authentic life. Not by forcing yourself into competitive high-level career paths that do not speak to your heart.

I want to fully believe in the latter. But exorcising the former is difficult at times. My mood seems to correlate with how much I've internalized the Positive Way at any given time.

It's important for me to make progress in this realm of my life. In fact, I've decided that it should be my Number One priority. I have not achieved a lasting relationship in the last three years despite all of my efforts and time that I've put towards dating. I think focusing on myself, my career, and my life in general are more likely to help me get the relationship I want than focusing on meeting guy after guy. I need to become the kind of guy that any other guy would feel grateful to be able to date. And I'll do that by working on becoming more fulfilled in the other realms of my life.

Not to say I'm going to stop dating. I'll still date. But it can't be my primary focus. There's more work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment