Saturday, August 22, 2015

The More Things Change

Despite my focus on professional issues in the previous entry, I can't pretend that my personal life is not important. It is. Very important. It always has been. My sexuality confusion has defined and dominated the last decade in a way that I regret immensely. At the same time, you can't say that I haven't been proactive in trying to find a solution.

After years of trying to figure things out in the safety of my own room, I forced myself out there and started dating. I almost immediately got a relationship for my trouble, and for the better part of a year these issues started to decrease in intensity. They were still present, but I was happy enough that I finally felt like I was making progress.

Then it ended, and the issues came back with a vengeance, During that time I've dated a LOT. I've gone on so many first dates, and though I haven't had as many sexual experiences as many guys, I've had several. Still not anything beyond oral for the most part, but still . . . I'm a bit more experienced than I was starting out. But no one has come along and made me feel convinced that this was the right path for me. And that's what is so aggravating. Ben's not enough. One relationship could be a fluke.

I hear so many stories about guys coming out of the closet, and the first time they do something with a guy it just feels right. And sure, when I have a promising prospect like Thomas, it does relieve my anxiety a bit. But does it feel right? I just don't know. It seems like my lack of interest in actual sex is the common factor that has torpedoed my potential relationships with several good guys now. Our lack of good sexual chemistry was a major factor in Dean ending things. Things ended with the gaymer earlier this year after we fooled around (awkwardly). And Thomas, the best match I've found since I've been single again, cited our lack of bedroom play when he told me he thought of me as more of a friend (even though he never once invited me over, nor drove to my neck of the woods . . . where would we have done it Thomas, the car?) Not to mention the "guy who cooked for me" who went away from the summer. He came back . . . and responded to my text with a "I'm not in dating mode right now" explanation, along with an apology. This from a guy that was very interested after our first two dates! When did his interest seem to die off? Not after his trip . . . no, I can trace it to right before he left. Right after our third time seeing each other, during which I slept over at his place and we didn't do anything sexual.

I've gone on a couple dates with a guy who has an amazing personality. Seriously, this guy is cool. I'm also not particularly physically attracted to him. I also am not sure I'm comfortable being doted on like he seems to like doing. So this is not helping my current bout of confusion.

I guess I'm afraid I like guys more in theory than in practice. Sure, the hot ones are great to look at . . . but how does that translate to a relationship? If the kind of guy I'm interested in only comes around once in a blue moon, and then rejects me for not being into sex enough or not getting to it fast enough, then why am I even dating guys?

I know that a lot of this has to do with the fact that I don't have any prospects right now that I have interest in like I did with guys like Thomas and the flake who cooked for me. But still. I shouldn't have to actively be dating someone to feel (more) confident in my sexuality.

I honestly feel like I might just be alone forever. And I know that it's that feeling that makes it possible, but I can't control it.

So if I force myself to stop dating and focus on career, it might just be because I've given up on finding someone. Because if I have to be alone, I might as well try to do what I want.

I'm sorry for this Debbie Downer fest. I've just really been bothered by this lately. Too many disappointments in a row, and frustration over never seeming to be attracted to the guys that do like me. Then there's a (married) girl I know that I seem to be crushing on, to throw that into the mix.

Maybe I just want what I can't have, what seems unobtainable . . . before I came out guys seemed so desirable . . . now girls don't seem so bad. Oh that greener grass . . .

2 comments:

  1. I relate to everything you've said...liking guys more in theory than practice, wanting to go slow, giving up on finding someone, having too many disappointments in a row, crushing on a straight girl, dating a guy with an amazing personality but not being physically attracted to him, having one gay relationship where everything was great - then it abruptly ends, leaving deep scars behind.

    I'm saying this to reinforce the point that you're not alone in having these feelings and experiences.

    And actually, I've come across a number of men who identify as bi (but are trying to exclusively date guys) who have said similar things. What we seem to have in common is a desire to connect with guys emotionally much more than sexually and that's not easy to do. Especially when so many other guys are focused on sex.

    I haven't found a solution yet. I just try to have faith that there's a huge amount of diversity out there and it's just a matter of time before I meet someone and we click on all levels.

    I do know the solution that *doesn't* work, and that's getting involved with a woman. Although it's far easier to connect with a woman on an emotional level, a key aspect of their fulfillment is feeling desired. Very often, their self-esteem is tied to that and when they don't feel desired it creates a vicious cycle of mutual dissatisfaction. It's a smoldering issue however because the rest of the relationship works very well. For me, that whole "solution" was a 24 year time sink that was fated to fail from the beginning. So, as tempting as the idea might be to you, I'd really urge you not to date women. Although you're likely to find quick success, it will cost you key years of your youth and ultimately you'll be back in the same spot again, only you'll be much older and not much wiser.

    I realize I'm projecting my own experience onto you but I've seen this with plenty of other mostly-gay men who marry women. Love is NOT enough. Authentic desire is actually more essential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a bit of serendipity...after leaving the above comment, I came across this video -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwhKmVrle4
    And then took this test -
    http://lonerwolf.com/demisexual-test/
    I scored a 72.

    ReplyDelete