Friday, June 27, 2014

Pink elephants on parade

I know there are plenty of gay guys that have strong opinions about politics. One interesting thing about Handsome Guy was that he was a Republican. It made sense. He grew up on a farm, he's a small business owner and works in finance. When it comes to LGBT issues, his stance was the Republican Party would eventually come around. So he votes based on economic issues.

Personally, I'm not the kind of guy who would make blanket statements such as "I'll never date someone who votes Republican!" I consider myself politically moderate myself.

What are your opinions? Do you think there is an inherent contradiction to being a gay Republican? Would you date someone who was one?

3 comments:

  1. I'm a left-leaning moderate. Truth be told, I'm conflicted on many non-social issues as I believe there should be a decent compromise, but no one's willing to try. I temper the raging liberals and incite the stolid conservatives. Otherwise I'm rather apolitical in my daily life. I could probably date someone regardless of his/her political views, as long as he/she is willing to discuss the topics openly and not just categorically shut down (but there aren't too many people like that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like so many things, it depends. I'm fiscally conservative but socially liberal. When I see people abuse government programs, I can really relate to the conservative side of things, but at the same time, there are people who really need the help.

    Having strong feelings one way or another about political topics is going to cause some friction but you should focus more on your mutual values and personalities than politics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve sounds cute!!

    I don't like the idea of rejecting someone just because they label themselves as a Republican. That said, I honestly don't think I would get along with someone who couldn't fully support the legalization of gay marriage. I also happen to think that social security and medicare are some of the greatest achievements that America made in the last century, and I would get seriously upset with someone who wants to destroy something that millions of people depend on. Besides all of that the healthcare issue affects me very personally, since I'm self-employed and have to pay for my own insurance, so I am painfully aware of how harmful Republican non-solutions to our healthcare problems are. In general terms, I like the idea of being fiscally conservative, but not the ugly ways in which the current Republican party tries to implement it.

    So yeah, i find it unlikely. I'm not even sure if there are any republicans in Weho haha.

    ReplyDelete